Sunday, May 12, 2013

Frosted Glass Windows


You know how, right before you are sure you are about to die or your world is about to crash, you suddenly become acutely aware of the world and yourself?? It’s like when one’s time is limited, suddenly everything falls into perspective...now that perspective isn’t necessarily always positive...like the glass can be half empty... A motorcycle crash shook me awake and made me think. With nothing much to do and waiting desperately for the wounds to heal and biting your teeth to keep from crying aloud with pain, I kept looking at the ceiling fan and thought and thought. I thought about home, I thought about the warmth and the people who make it a home. As it is said, its not about bricks and mortar that make a home. Bricks and mortar make a house, but the people in it and the love binding us all together make it a home. And that's what I'm gonna write about.

I spent a bit of time with my parents between my two jobs. I had other objectives as well; among them one was to get a feel of my parent’s home. Yes, I consider it my parent’s home, more categorically my mother’s. It’s my home, yes, and this time spent here has added to the feeling of it being home...but as for house, it screams my mom all over, including the shelves and cabinets and wardrobes that have been custom built for her and her alone... It’s all very good that its got my mother’s tastes, choice and build... but it’s definitely not MY house.

In 'The Fountainhead' by Ayn Rand, one reads about how a house has a personality and the occupant has to live up to that... one can argue that a house has to live up to the occupants personality as well... without getting into an argument I would just say that this house screams my parents in every possible way... if my parents personality has to edified, I would definitely choose the design of this house... above everything, its big and airy (mind you, my parents aren’t very tall people...), gives you a feeling of being out in the open... non-claustrophobic, yet cozy in every sense... sparsely furnished, yet one finds a place to rest in every corner... couple of curtains, no heavy drapes... frosted glass windows for the entire wall on one side of the living room, that bathes the house in sunlight...

Sitting alone in an easy chair in the middle of the living room, imagining my mom laughing and my dad going through journals or scribbling in his personal diary... I can’t help thinking how perfectly the house reflects the extremely vexatious couple that makes it home for me... they are people with big expansive personality, open heart and open mind... extremely caring with out being over protective... I would say they have always been there without ever making me feel the heaviness of their presence... never giving an opinion unless asked for, but always giving me the hand when I never realized I had asked for it... bright sunny, colorful personalities, with loads of fun... my mom is definitely my longest lasting girlfriend who is never shy to share a wink and a smile...

As I counted down on my days to departure, I was awash with the days made multi-colored by not just the couple, but by their house... which is my home... and as the sharpness of the realization dawned that I won’t walk these floors for a while in the near future... I became acutely aware of the house’s personality and yes, it definitely turned out to be the cherry on top...

No comments: